[PD] (laptop) graphics hardware for GEM

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jun 4 11:34:52 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Urs Liska hat gesagt: // Urs Liska wrote:
> On my current laptop I can't render GEM windows on the secondary VGA
> output which is probably due to the lack of power of the graphics card.
> Therefore I'd like to know more before buying a new laptop (for which
> PD/multimedia work will be the main criteria).
>
> So, are there any experiences with the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 or 7400
> cards? Two Sony laptops I'm thinking about have these.
> I remember once reading about ATI cards being preferrable.

The current issue of c't magazine (12/2006) compares Ati, Nvdia and
Intel chips regarding their Linux compatibility, you may want to read
it. They aren't very happy with Ati at all. Nvidia drivers seem to be
okay, and of course only Intel has powerful open source drivers,
because both Nvidia and Ati play hide and seek with open source
developers. (That's why for me only an Intel machine was an option,
but YMMV.)

Ciao