[PD] (laptop) graphics hardware for GEM

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Sun Jun 4 21:08:39 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht schrieb:
> Hallo,
> Urs Liska hat gesagt: // Urs Liska wrote:
>> On my current laptop I can't render GEM windows on the secondary VGA
>> output which is probably due to the lack of power of the graphics card.
>> Therefore I'd like to know more before buying a new laptop (for which
>> PD/multimedia work will be the main criteria).
>>
>> So, are there any experiences with the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 or 7400
>> cards? Two Sony laptops I'm thinking about have these.
>> I remember once reading about ATI cards being preferrable.
>
> The current issue of c't magazine (12/2006) compares Ati, Nvdia and
> Intel chips regarding their Linux compatibility, you may want to read
> it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

> They aren't very happy with Ati at all. Nvidia drivers seem to be
> okay, and of course only Intel has powerful open source drivers,
> because both Nvidia and Ati play hide and seek with open source
> developers. (That's why for me only an Intel machine was an option,
> but YMMV.)
Sorry for my ignorance: What do you mean by 'Intel machine'? A machine
with an onboard Intel graphics chip?
I read that the new (?) 915 chipset has (contrary to earlier onboard
solutions) no negative impact on audio performance, but you have to make
compromises with 3D performance (which is what I assume to be necessary
for GEM and similar things).
Am I talking about the right thing? Or are there laptops with dedicated
video cards by Intel?

Thanks for any clarification
Urs

--