[PD] (laptop) graphics hardware for GEM

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jun 5 11:54:21 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Urs Liska hat gesagt: // Urs Liska wrote:

> Sorry for my ignorance: What do you mean by 'Intel machine'? A machine
> with an onboard Intel graphics chip?

Yes, an Intel laptop with an Intel gfx chip. ("Centrino")

> I read that the new (?) 915 chipset has (contrary to earlier onboard
> solutions) no negative impact on audio performance, but you have to make
> compromises with 3D performance (which is what I assume to be necessary
> for GEM and similar things).

I use it (with an MSI S260 barebone notebook), it has very good 3D
performance IMO and doesn't interrupt audio. Of course it's not as
powerful as the Nvidia chips, but it is more than powerful enough for
what I do with Gem and audio. Btw: The new small MacBooks use the
Intel gfx chips as well.

Ciao