[PD] ascii2pd, pd2ascii (serial communication, arduino, Xbee), concat (list-abs) and cvs

Thomas Ouellet Fredericks iamonthebeach at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:49:53 CEST 2006

I wrote 2 abstractions to manage ascii data(codes) within PD. And another to
concatenate data.
I found that the existing externals did not have the latitude I needed or
treated a limited set of ascii characters.
They require pd 0.39, zexy and the included ascii4pd.txt file.

NOTE: The quoted text is to be read as if in a PD message box ("a,b"
indicates two messages)

--- pd2ascii
Converts pd symbols, lists, floats and anything into integers (ascii codes)
Examples:
converts "a1" or "a,1" to "97,49"
converts "a b" into "97,32,98"
converts "321,LF,CR" into "51,50,49,10,13"

--- ascii2pd
Converts intergers into individual pd symbols or floats.
To combine the data into complete pd messages, I wrote the following
abstraction, concat:

--- concat (maybe this could be included in list-abs?)
Concatenate floats, symbols, lists and anything into complete PD messages
that can have sublists (spaces).
Example:
step 1) ascii2pd converts "97,32,98,13" into "a,SPACE,b,CR".
step 2) concat can convert "a,SPACE,b,CR" into "list a b".

Get them here: http://tof.danslchamp.org/pd/ascii2pd+pd2ascii+concat.zip

I would like to include them into the CVS (so Hans can include them into his
installers :). How do I do that?

Hans, these could be very usefull for your Arduino abstraction (like sending
16bit numbers, instead of being limited to bytes).

Thomas Ouellet Fredericks (tof at danslchamp.org)