[PD] CPS vs PD - experiences?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 7 16:01:59 CEST 2006

I've used Pd in a number of installations and its great for this,
especially when running on GNU/Linux.  For this installation:

http://at.or.at/hans/yoyo

I ran the whole thing on a discarded PC running Pd on Debian.  It
would automatically start up the installation on boot, and I set it
up so that the disks ran synchronously so that it could be power-
cycled without worrying about losing data.  They had random power
outages, so it had to come back by itself.  It did crash sometimes
(you can probably blame my programming), but the gallery people could
just flip the power to get it going again.  Yes, it takes time to set
up Debian, and to make things start up like that.  But it has saved
me probably days worth of troubleshooting time, so it was well worth it.

There are a number of other examples of installations running Pd,
there is a permanent sound installation in a park in Vienna that runs
Pd. IEM's 24-channel ambisonic setup runs Pd.  There is an
installation here at NIME/Agora @ IRCAM that is running Pd.  So its
definitely ready for prime time.

.hc