[PD] triggering a linear ramp with a signal

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 17:24:40 CEST 2006

Units which you might find useful are [env~] and [bonk~]

The [env~] unit returns the RMS level of the current audio block,
which may be followed with a comparator.

[bonk~] is far more sophisticated, returning a float representing the weighted spectral change of the input according to a template or accumulated profile. It's used specifically for realtime beat detection.

In both cases the result is a control rate message (bang or float) which  can be used to fire off a new message, either explicit or by dollar substitution, to create your ramp.