[PD] Gem - CPU usage 98%

Andrew Cavers andrew.cavers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 14:05:00 CEST 2006

Klaas,

I suspect that it will be the motion detection part of your patch that
will be eating the CPU most. If the video input is only being used to
detect motion and the live video is not being displayed then setting
the camera to it's lowest resolution will be more than adequate and
will drastically reduce the load on the CPU. Also decrease the number
of frames per second being analysed for movement. The speed of the GPU
will certainly not help you in this instance.

My "mution" project used motion detection with PD/PDP/PiDiP from
160x120 resolution webcam input at 15fps which gave very reliable
results and produced a load of only 20-30% on a 600mhz machine
(running Linux).

Of course, the codec of the file you are playing will also hit the CPU
(again, not the GPU) but I am not the best person to advise about
that.

Good luck,

Andrew.