[PD] multispeaker sculpture interface via pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 8 23:30:18 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:

> I am assisting a professor right now with building a multi-speaker
> programmable "grid" where sound events can be triggered at certain locations
> on the grid and programmed in various configurations, controlled (hopefully)
> from Pd.  The model right now involves two large metal frames where speakers
> will be hung in different shapes and clusters.  We are looking to create a
> sort of "organism" structure that will allow the piece to react to itself
> based on parameters set up in Pd - microsound sort of self-sustaining
> structures and sound models are of great interest to us.
>
> We're in the phase right now of gathering information about what we will
> need to build this - I'm assuming some kind of interface (sound card?) with
> multiple outs for each "cluster" of speakers on the grid, but is there
> another way we could do it and still make it fully programmable?  We have
> experience with electronics as well, so we could conceivably build an
> interface if anyone knows of available schematics or ideas.  Environment
> will be Linux, preferably.
>
> I would really like to avoid purchasing a USB sound device as I hear that
> many of them don't do very well with Linux, but in the event that we do need
> to do this, can anyone recommend a good one supported under Linux?

USB works very well with Linux, if you avoid M-Audio USB cards, but
because the bandwidth is limited to basically 8 channels at
44.1kHz/16bit in one direction, it is not really useable for works
that require more channels. PCI always is easier and better than USB,
so if you don't need to run from a Laptop, you should prefer PCI
anyways. It also is cheaper. M-Audio PCI cards are great, RME is
popular for more channels.

If you need really many channels, but don't have much money available,
Netjack may be a good place to check out:
http://netjack.sourceforge.net

Netjack is an amazing piece of software to combine many soundcards
into one big multichannel soundcard through a network (UDP)
connection. The soundcards even can be in different machines.

Ciao