[PD] multiple variables

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 8 23:38:24 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:

> I'm trying to modify the wavetables in the audio examples with a message box
> that will include the cosinesum argument with 7 variables for its
> parameters, rather than "set" integers.  I've been trying to figure out how
> to work with more than one variable at a time - how is this accomplished in
> Pd?
>
> I'm essentially trying to define  randomly generated variables that I can
> then use to modify the wavetable.  $1 in the message box works fine, but I
> need more than one variable for the list of parameters in cosinesum.
> Trying to have $2, $3, $4, etc just gives error messages.

What kind of error messages do you get? Using $2 $3 $4 ... in message
boxes works fine, but you need to send a list into this message box.
You can create such a list with [pack 0 0 0 0 ...].

So for example this should work:

  [nbx] [nbx] [nbx] [nbx]
  [pack 0  0  0  0]

  [whatever $1 $2 $3 and $4(

See section 2.6.5 "dollar signs" of the Pd manual for the gory
details: http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/x2.htm#s6.5 and
the help patch: doc/2.control.examples/14.dollarsigns.pd

Ciao