[PD] Gem - CPU usage 98%

klaas de Baas kdebaas at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 23:30:34 CEST 2006

Thanks Chris,

>Only the 3D OpenGL parts of GEM (Geos, Manips, Particles) are accelerated
>by
>the GPU.  You can do image processing using the GPU and objects like
>fragment_program though.  Any pix_ object is handled by the CPU.

My Gemlist ends in a rectangle, which is a Geo, as far as I understand. So I
went and put your statement to the test, with a spigot before the pix-film,
and another one before the rectangle. CPU-load did not drop significantly
when switching off the rectangle, but it did when switching off
gemhead->pix-film. So I guess I was looking in the wrong place, and it is
more of a codec decoding load as IOhannes suggests in his later post.

I'm not sure what you refer to with "fragment_program". My guess is it is
from another library (i.e. not from Gem)?

>GEM uses old VideoForWindows code to play AVI files which is slower than
>DirectShow.  Mediaplayer uses a full DirectShow path and there are a number
>of efficient paths when you can do that.  GEM has a full OpenGL rendering
>engine so we cannot use things like the DirectShow hardware mixer and
>scaler, and once you get off the narrow predetermined DS path things slow
>down qite a bit.  There are plans to use Directshow for loading AVI files
>in
>the future, but it will still not be as efficient as MediaPlayer (hopefully
>it will be close though).
>
>cgc

There's quite a few things I understand now.
After using my patch for a project the next two months, I am planning to
switch to Linux from Windows. How does that OS environment compare with
regards to Gem's handling of high resolution 2d video?

Ciao
Klaas