[PD] pdp on mac OSX 4.6

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Jun 14 00:18:40 CEST 2006

Hi xname,

xname at scii.nl wrote:

 >  i am asking the list if is there anyone who installed pdp on macosx 4,
 >  and who has it working, which means not only that the library is
 >  loaded, but also that you can actually play videos so the xserver
 >  works.

I got PDP to run with HC's 0.38.4-extended-RC8 installer. Sara Kolster
and I used the following instructions for several workshops:

mv pdp_pidip_osx.tar.gz /
cd /
sudo tar xvfz pdp_pidip_osx.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx
cp pdp.pd_darwin
/Applications/Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8.app/Contents/Resources/extra/
sudo cp /usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx/fonts/* /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF

The source of this pdp_pidip_osx.tar.gz was:

http://tdegoyon.free.fr/pdp_pidip_osx.tar.gz

I don't know if Yves has updated it since we downloaded it and kept an
archival copy. We also used the X11 installer from Apple.

PDP runs and we can do all the direct video synthesis stuff with it.
However, I do have problems with Quicktime playback using this, as did
quite a few workshop participants. Our "reference" clips, encoded with
the PhotoJPEG codec, won't play for me. My guess is that the Apple's
Quicktime is to blame, but I haven't spent much time looking into it
since we dropped PDP from our workshops simply because it was so much
more complicated to get running than GEM, not to mention the
cross-platform issues.

If video playback is what you are looking for, I can highly recommend
using GEM. Both [pix_film] and [pix_video] are much more reliable and
work with much less overhead than PDP does in general on OSX . I'm
afraid PDP is another one of those things in the PD world that is much
more highly developed for Linux, and also Tom has included a lot of
optimizations for Intel architecture in PDP that make me think that
running it on a (non-Intel) Mac isn't really the best deal anyway. For
example, Sara Kolster's OSX performance patches, which capture and mix a
live Firewire cam with prerecorded clips in a total of four buffers,
were all made in PDP first and redone later in GEM at less than half the
CPU cost.

grtz to the ASCII crew!
d.

--