[PD] advice on loading 300 samples

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 14 00:23:27 CEST 2006

Hallo,
patrick hat gesagt: // patrick wrote:

> i was thinking... why limiting the number of samples being played
> simultaneously to 6... i never built a patch like that, but i guess it's a
> little bit like a synth where you can trig lots of notes together (poly
> something). so dynamic xgroove~ depending on how much notes i am playing?
> hum... i guess i am thinking too much and too loud. will do some homeworks
> and ask real question sorry...

I think, the problem more is how to load so many samples clickfree
into memory. As samples loaded into an array get blown up in size, for
300 2MB samples you already need a lot of memory. It probably will be
better to load only the samples to play currently and next into
memory, and reuse the tables that store the samples to save memory.

If the samples only need to be played, [readsf~] would be the easiest,
almost trivial solution to this. If you need [table]-based processing
things will be quite a bit trickier, as soundfiler in standard Pd can
lead to dropouts. pd-devel can be one way out, using [readsf~] to
write into a [table] faster than realtime could be another way (by
upsampling using [block~]).

Ciao