[PD] advice on loading 300 samples

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Jun 14 00:31:40 CEST 2006

Hi Patrick,

patrick wrote:
>> how big are the samples?
> +- 2 mb each sample

A "brute force" approach would be to load all the samples into RAM with
arrays. You're talking about +/- 600 mB of data if I understand right.
You could get away with it if you had a Gig of RAM I think. I don't use
Xgroove for sample playback, I prefer to work with tabread4~ since it
eats less resources and isn't as dodgy.

But my real advice is to try Frank Barknecht's [fluid] external, in the
Footils library. It's based on the MIDI sampler Fluidsynth:

http://www.nongnu.org/fluid/

And it does a great job of voice allocation (you could play hundreds of
notes simultaneously if you wanted to!) and sample management. You'll
need to assemble a soundfont of your audio first, however, so check out
Swami for that:

http://swami.sourceforge.net/

Don't know what OS you have. I know it's flawless on Linux, haven't
tried it anyplace else.

good luck!
d.

--