[PD] advice on loading 300 samples

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Wed Jun 14 15:12:41 CEST 2006

I think one advantage of using tables is the fact that one could start
playing anywhere in the sound file. It is not the case with reasf~, right ?
(might not interest Patrick, but it is interesting for me)

Then, using tabread4~ would consume too much CPU, right ?

So, dynamic table + tabread creation with throws would be the way to go.

Do you guys know a way to clear only several objects of a subpatch ? I use
[; pd-subpatch clear< for now. But I would prefer not to clear everything.

aalex

On 6/14/06, IOhIannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > patrick hat gesagt: // patrick wrote:
>
> > I think, the problem more is how to load so many samples clickfree
> > into memory. As samples loaded into an array get blown up in size, for
> > 300 2MB samples you already need a lot of memory. It probably will be
> > better to load only the samples to play currently and next into
> > memory, and reuse the tables that store the samples to save memory.
> >
> > If the samples only need to be played, [readsf~] would be the easiest,
> > almost trivial solution to this. If you need [table]-based processing
> > things will be quite a bit trickier, as soundfiler in standard Pd can
> > lead to dropouts. pd-devel can be one way out, using [readsf~] to
> > write into a [table] faster than realtime could be another way (by
> > upsampling using [block~]).
>
> i guess the simplest thing would be to use [readsf~] for playback of the
> samples from a ramdisk: this way the samples will still be kept at 16bit
> (or whatever you choose) and thus take little memory and the access to
> the ramdisk will be lightning fast.
>
> mfg.asdr.
> IOhannes

Alexandre Quessy