[Pd] Complex audio signals

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 02:44:58 CEST 2006

On 6/14/06, Piotr Majdak <piotr at majdak.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > OK, but Hilbert involves FFT, which involves distortion.
>
> FT is just one way to calculate the HT. A good approx. can be achieved with a
> FIR filter. The result will be a real signal, but you consider it as the
> imaginary part of what ever you want (here: analytic signal).
>
> And I really don't know what do you mean by "FFT, which involves distortion".
> You don't mean distortions as in "nonlinear distortions", don't you?

I mean that the reconstituted sound is not exactly the same as the
original signal.

> > And a signal
> > with the imaginary part set to zero won't represent the same sines and
> > cosines.
>
> Same as what? Sorry, don't understand it...

The same as having the imaginary part set to the sums of all of the
sines of the values of which the real part is the cosines.
I mean, it's not really possible for the same sum of rotating bodies
to have two different sets of vertical values?  The imaginary part
does affect what's happening, no?

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."