[PD] wind noise

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Thu Jun 15 06:14:14 CEST 2006

hey,

i'm working at the moment on an computer vision-based augmented tabletop
interface to what is shaping up to be a kind of live map of a
naturalistic setting.

our aim with this project is to remove any perception of technology from
it; we want to give users the feeling that they're some kind of
benevolent god-like being perched over a real landscape. using their
hands they can interact with this landscape.

the vision part and the rendering are taken care of; it needs sound. i
thought what might be neat is for the users' hands to act as giant wind
paddles - so as they moved them over the landscape, they'd be able to
hear the results of their movement as some kind of vaguely realistic
wind noise.

any pointers on where i might start with this? i've been looking at
physical modelling but most of the documents out there seem to deal with
modelling acoustic instruments rather than natural acoustic phenomena;
perhaps physical modelling might be overkill for what will probably end
up being basically a series of noise filters..?

--
f r e y
live music with computers