[PD] a little ot: creative commons

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 19:35:46 CEST 2006

>CC addresses the production of culture, the GPL address
>the production of code.   They are two very different intentions, two
>very different "things".

I'm sure that makes a great debate. I'm not sure they are so different or if you can ever draw a line between data and code in a truly meaningful way. Pour me te differences in the licences are about simplicity and language, CC being something artists can grok right away.

I'm quite happy that CC works for me for the things I want it to, granting rights for music and letting me decide what can be remixed or merely copied and what it can be used for. If you write code or patches that fall into what you believe is a grey area you're free to choose mix and match licences as you wish, GPL or BSD for code if appropriate, CC non -erivative or CC sharealike. At the end of te day never be afraid to write your own licence parts simply stating your wishes, on a per file basis if you really need to, or pulling bits from licences or supplementing them with your own stuff. Just think it through, be clear and honest about what you want to grant or restrict and try to make life as simple as possible for the end user or else they will be put off using your work.
Andy