[PD] wind noise

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Fri Jun 16 00:11:09 CEST 2006

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk wrote:
> Hey threre Damien,
> do check out the tutorial on wind as Frank suggests, I think you'll get
> something from there. Physical modelling of wind, as in building a fluid

thanks, i've been working through those tutorials - they're fantastic.
i'm up to 'water', i especially liked the breakdown of fire into its
component parts - got me thinking about it in a big way...

 > things correctly and it will be well behaved. Remember things like rain
 > and leaves and rooftops have more to do with the sound of wind than
 > moving air, which makes no sound at all on its own.

i'm reminded at this point of Trevor Wishart in On Sonic Art discussing
the psychological aspects of sound transformation in Red Bird -- i
particularly recall the book slamming shut <-> door slamming transition
being as much about the sound of crinkling pages and the sound of a door
handle being turned as about the actual slamming sounds: with context we
experience the sounds as distinct, without context they're identical.

--
f r e y
live music with computers