[PD] a little ot: creative commons

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 16 04:52:44 CEST 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 1:35 PM, padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk wrote:

>> CC addresses the production of culture, the GPL address
>> the production of code.   They are two very different intentions, two
>> very different "things".
>
> I'm sure that makes a great debate. I'm not sure they are so
> different or if you can ever draw a line between data and code in a
> truly meaningful way. Pour me te differences in the licences are
> about simplicity and language, CC being something artists can grok
> right away.
>
> I'm quite happy that CC works for me for the things I want it to,
> granting rights for music and letting me decide what can be remixed
> or merely copied and what it can be used for. If you write code or
> patches that fall into what you believe is a grey area you're free
> to choose mix and match licences as you wish, GPL or BSD for code
> if appropriate, CC non -erivative or CC sharealike. At the end of
> te day never be afraid to write your own licence parts simply
> stating your wishes, on a per file basis if you really need to, or
> pulling bits from licences or supplementing them with your own
> stuff. Just think it through, be clear and honest about what you
> want to grant or restrict and try to make life as simple as
> possible for the end user or else they will be put off using your
> work.
> Andy

Writing your own licenses makes enforcement even more expensive that
enforcing a CC license since there wouldn't be any precedents or body
of knowledge pertaining to that license.

It comes down to this: if someone with a lot more money that you
wants to violate your CC license, they probably can and will without
much hassle to them.  The GNU GPL is a different story, nobody has
even tried to fight the GNU GPL, even large corporations because they
would have no case against Eben Moglen in court.

Even worse, CC licenses add a cost to the small people that most
people are trying to encourage.  If someone is just starting out and
they want to sample a song, they have to spend a fair amount of
effort figuring out all the CC clauses and what they allow someone to
do.  This is non-trivial, especially since there are so many possible
clauses.  This is a real cost that mostly affects the small guy.
With the GNU GPL, its dead simple: do whatever you want with it as
long as you distribute any changes or additions also.  That's why I
have been thinking about releasing everything I do, music, sound
installations, whatever, under the GNU GPL.

.hc