[PD] a little [OT]: creative commons

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Jun 16 05:26:36 CEST 2006

While we're on the off-topic of licenses...

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 02:21:47PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2006, at 3:27 AM, Yves Degoyon wrote:
>
> >ola,
> >
> >> Speaking  of, how about releasing that PDP port for Windows?
> >
> >please no.. thank you.
> >
> >sevy
>
> That's where we have differing opinions on free software.  I think
> that free software should be totally free, and I think that the more

"Totally free" is pretty hard to quantify. Some would argue that the BSD
license is more "totally free" than the GPL. The GPL imposes very definite
restrictions, which are of great benefit the end users of the software.
I guess in this respect, public domain software is the most free of all,
imposing no restrictions what so ever on users or programmers.

Should I be 'totally free' to write software which slaughters and maims
innocent people? What is this freedom thing anyway? I hear George Bush
saying it quite a lot on the news.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx