[PD] Re: BlueTooth CUI : using [comport] or [hid]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 16 21:39:07 CEST 2006

To get bits, use the standard bitwise operators, just like C or many
other languages.  Pd has the whole suite: & | >> <<

To get the value of a bit, AND it by that bit's value, i.e. the 4th
bit would be [& 16]

.hc

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Dan Overholt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've put up an example of using the Bluetooth CUI with PD here:
> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/CUIBTPDtest.pd
>
> The only question is how to get at the individual bits within the
> last 2
> received bytes to decode the digital inputs from the CUI. In Max/MSP,
> there is an 3rd party external called [bit] that does this... any
> suggestions?
>
> All the best,
> -Dan
>
> --
> Dan Overholt -- http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano
> Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, UCSB
>

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
>
>> Hello Pure Data friends,
>>

>> We are currently trying to make the Bluetooth CUI work with PD.
>>

>> The Bluetooth Create Usb Interface is the wireless version of the USB
>> CUI, a 13 analog/10 bits and 12 digital I/O interface for sensors.
>> The
>> BTCUI is perfect for embbeded applications like dance,
>> performance, music etc. It's one of the cheapest and smallest
>> wireless
>> interface on the market, and it is Open Hardware !
>>
>> The USB CUI works all right with PD, with HID tools. We use the [hid]
>> external from PD-Extended 0.39.RC4 (on Mac).
>>
>> Unfortunately, we didn't succeeded to make the BluetoothCUI working
>> with PD. We have tried [comport] and [hid]. The BTCUI works perfectly
>> on Max/MSP (demo version), as announced by Dan Overholt, its creator.
>> His patch is downloadable at
>> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/BlueCUItestRev2.zip and uses the
>> [serial] object of Max/MSP.
>>
>> The protocol of the CUI is probably similar to the one used by
>> joysticks and such. It consists in a serie of integers with
>> delimiters, the several remaining integers beings the values that the
>> device sends to the computer. See the attached PD patches. Below are
>> out two PD patches. The first one uses [hid] and works with the USB
>> CUI, but not over BlueTooth. (Apple does serial port emulation) The
>> second uses [comport] and almost work. The CUI LED lights up, so it
>> means that it is sending data, but most often, dumping the data from
>> [comport]'s outlet give us nothing.
>>

>> Would you have any idea of what is missing to imitate, and make even
>> better than the [serial] Max/MSP object ? Otherwise, would it be
>> easier on
>> Linux ?
>>

>> JN and

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams