[PD] a little [OT]: creative commons

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 16 22:27:06 CEST 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:26 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> While we're on the off-topic of licenses...
>
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 02:21:47PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 3, 2006, at 3:27 AM, Yves Degoyon wrote:
>>
>>> ola,

>>> please no.. thank you.
>>>
>>> sevy
>>
>> That's where we have differing opinions on free software.  I think
>> that free software should be totally free, and I think that the more
>
> "Totally free" is pretty hard to quantify. Some would argue that
> the BSD
> license is more "totally free" than the GPL. The GPL imposes very
> definite
> restrictions, which are of great benefit the end users of the
> software.
> I guess in this respect, public domain software is the most free of
> all,
> imposing no restrictions what so ever on users or programmers.

The GNU GPL talks about software freedom and guarantees software
freedom while restricting other things.  The GNU GPL puts absolutely
no restrictions on what software you can write and what you can do
with that software in the realm of computers.  It does restrict
people from taking away those freedoms from other people.

> Should I be 'totally free' to write software which slaughters and
> maims
> innocent people? What is this freedom thing anyway? I hear George Bush
> saying it quite a lot on the news.

We don't need any specific software laws or license clauses here, its
already illegal to slaughter and maim regardless of how you do it
(unless you are a government).

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!