[PD] Re: BlueTooth CUI : using [comport] or [hid]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jun 17 21:44:19 CEST 2006

Its most like the displaying of the data that is using up your CPU
time, if you are talking about CUIBTPDtest.pd.  Sliders and other GUI
elements are inefficient with Pd on the Mac.  You can help the
situation by using a [speedlim 100] (from maxlib or cyclone) to slow
down the refresh rate.

I've been thinking of making a series of graph-on-parent GUI objects
that have a built-in [speedlim].  Perhaps it would be better if it
was included in the Properties of the object.

.hc

On Jun 17, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Dan Overholt wrote:

> well, I guess it is just my old, slow machine (500MHz G4), but
> anyway just
> decoding the analog inputs takes 50% of the cpu, and with the digital
> inputs also it pegs the cpu... not nice!
>

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Hey Dan,
>>
>> How is the [&] object ineffecient?  I think its just a straight pass-
>> thru to the C & operator, should it should use little CPU.
>>
>> It would be easy enough to write something like [bit] for Pd based on
>> [&] which would make the patching easier.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Dan Overholt wrote:
>>
>>> all right, there's an updated version of the PD patch for the
>>> Bluetooth
>>> CUI on the website now, including the digital inputs:
>>> http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/CUIBTPDtest.pd
>>>
>>> using the AND operator in PD seems to be _very_ inneffecient
>>> though, if
>>> anyone has a better idea, let me know!
>>>
>>> -Dan

>>> --
>>> Dan Overholt -- http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano
>>> Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, UCSB

>> ---
>>
>> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the
>> problem.        - Eldridge Cleaver
>>

> --
> Dan Overholt -- http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano
> Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, UCSB

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson