[PD] how to trigger bang's with a period less than 1 milisecond

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon Jun 19 01:55:32 CEST 2006

> > On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 21:50 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "granularity" here, but if you
> > > could only generate messages in steps of ~1.5 msec or 64 samples at
> > > 44.1kHz you could forget about using Pd to do techno music someone
> > > would actually dance to.
> >
> > sorry, but how can you generate messages, that are _not_ aligned to a 64
> > sample grid ...
>
> Every "clock-delayed message" (metro, del, pipe, qlist, ...) is not
> aligned to 64 samples, GUI generated messages like clicking on a [bng]
> are aligned.

the clock callbacks are run between two audio blocks ...

> However to actually make use of this in signal externals,
> you need to do some extra work. vline~ does. See attached patch and
> doc/3.audio.examples/C04.control.to.signal.pd

vline~ achieves subsample accuracy by delaying samples for the next dsp
block ... it's not, that actual messaging is happening ...

tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively
verbalizing.
  William S. Burroughs