[PD] [PD-announce] bassemu~: transistor bass emulation

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 13:24:38 CEST 2006

Lovely. Really nice sounds.

One or two humble suggestions to make it a truly authentic acid box...

A zero value note should behave as a rest (as well as -1?) Makes sequencing
easier in most scenarios.

Glide (the secret sauce for proper acid lines)

i)  switchable on and off by a control signal while keeping its range fixed,
it should be truncated by a rest not dive to zero. (see iii)

ii) premptively * - by previous note, a glid note in position 14 slides all the way
to note at step 15 then stops. A "lagged" glide doesn't always work right
because if it's not constant octaves/time it doesn't work in
different places on the keyboard.

iii) instant zero - reset to zero slide "instantly" (without clicking -
about 30ms)

iv) exponential as well as linear - original RC circuits are asymptotic so up
glides always fall a tiny bit flat while down glides remain a teeny bit sharp
of the target note.

v)  an option for constant time slide, it changes its speed
depending on the note distance to always be constant 1 step period.
* possible for one step but see below

vi) with filter cutoff tracking the glide too

Accent (choose from the below list which are all hallmarks of good
acid instruments, not necessarily all TB303)

i) shortens decay time by about somewhere between 0-20%
ii) boosts env mod and resonance by 10% and cutoff by 20%
iii) boosts amplitude the same

* it's actually impossible for a sequenced instrument because you need to
precompute the slide by looking ahead in the pattern. It's a subtlety that
many people don't get when aiming for an authentic 303 sound. This way you
can slide at constant pitch/time whether there are one, two or more tied
notes or rests in between.

Listen to anything by "Hardfloor" or "a guy called Gerald" to really get it.

Can anything be done to stabilise the filter? It went mad a couple of times
when I was tweaking the filter env parameter.