[PD] a little [OT]: creative commons

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 20 01:49:20 CEST 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:

> "Totally free" is pretty hard to quantify. Some would argue that the BSD
> license is more "totally free" than the GPL. The GPL imposes very definite
> restrictions, which are of great benefit the end users of the software.

In another words, what's freer, software that is so free that it can be
proprietarized, or software so free that it can't be proprietarized?

> Should I be 'totally free' to write software which slaughters and maims
> innocent people?

What about the manufacturing of kitchen knives which end up being used in
some fatal family disputes?

> What is this freedom thing anyway? I hear George Bush saying it quite a
> lot on the news.

Freedom is the freedom of saying Georgie Boy is Right.
If that is granted, all else follows. ;-)