[Pd] Complex audio signals

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 20 02:10:23 CEST 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I mean that the reconstituted sound is not exactly the same as the
> original signal.

after a [fft~], a [ifft~], and then dividing by the block size, what's
different from the original? prolly just arithmetic error from addition
and multiplication.

BTW, if you look at relative errors on individual bins you are not looking
at the right thing. Your relative error should be computed relative to the
magnitude of the whole sound. If you have a case where you really need to
have low individual relative errors, then you might have a point, but I
wonder, do you have such a case?

a pair of FFT on a block size of 1024 is supposed to be roughly like 20
layers each containing 2 [+~], 3 [*~] and 2 [z~], arranged in a rather
regular pattern.