[PD] a little ot: creative commons

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jun 20 07:26:21 CEST 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> An application is a binary, and the source code is all the files
>> needed to produce that binary given a set of tools.
>
> What's a "binary" ?...
>
> the word "binary" was subverted to mean "non-text" where it's
> assumed that text is some version of ASCII. However, so-called
> "binaries" contain a segment called "text" which is native machine
> code (just ask /usr/bin/size about it...)
>
> if the application is a text file, then is it really an
> application?... and then, can that text file be the source code at
> once?
>
> if the thing called source code is made of text but has been
> generated by some tool, is it still possible to call it source code?
>
> What if the source file is not ASCII-based? (e.g. Microsoft's BASIC
> or IRCAM's jMAX)

That is something that does need to be worked out in the legalese,
but I am not a lawyer and I think everyone understands what I mean.
But I would like to see a license requires people to share their
sources of whatever.  That's what I want to license my content under:
a GPL for everything.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore