[PD] [PD-announce] [OT] more objects: passwd utils

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 20 11:21:08 CEST 2006

Hallo,
João Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // João Miguel Pais wrote:

> oh, you mean that for your system to work you must have had a programmer
> setting it up, since you couldn't do it yourself? that's exactly what I
> mean that is the problem, thanks for agreeing with me. I think it's great
> that you found a sollution. In my case (and many other ones) where I don't
> know any programmer who has the time / will to come here and spend some
> hours/days working on it, so I'll have to keep doing it slowly if I want
> to set up that system.

Actually the kind of person you talk about here is not a programmer,
it's a system administrator. Our previous sysadmin at work used to
become very upset when someone called him a programmer: "I'm not a
programmer, I'm a system administrator. I don't code."

Installing printer drivers or configuring a webserver has nothing to
do with coding. You're a programmer when you are developing Pd
patches, but you're not, when you're filling out some dialog boxes in
the Control Panel.

Personally I didn't start using Linux because I was convinced of the
Free Software idea (that came later). I started, because I just didn't
manage to get Windows 3.1 to connect to the internet, which is a
typical sysadmin task. Compared to that, with Linux, configuring
TCP/IP and PPP was dead easy. Also a freshly installed Linux system
has all software I need, whereas a freshly installed Windows system
doesn't even come with a decent text editor, let alone a full Office
Software package, a useable email client (no, Outlook Express is not
useable) and good sound and image editing software. All of this has to
be installed later and maybe even is very expensive or bothers its
users with nasty registration procedures.

Ciao