[PD] a little ot: creative commons

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 21 16:21:09 CEST 2006

Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Modifying a software does create a derivative work. Static linking also
> create a derivative work. But using a software never create derivative
> works. A PD patch could be interpreted by some other software, like a tiff
> image created with the Gimp could be opened and modified using Photoshop.

which interpreter is used to run a Pd-patch does not affect the license
of the pd-patch. see
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InterpreterIncompat

what matju was referring to is this article:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NFUseGPLPlugins
which says:
"If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins
are separate programs, so the license of the plug-in makes no
requirements about the main program."

if a Pd-patch is seen as a program, then it makes use of plug-ins
(externals) via Pd's built-in loading mechanism, which is NOT based on
"fork and exec" (or similar).
continuing the quote:
"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls
to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program
and the plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main
program must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software
license..."

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in i think that
Pd-externals are "plug-ins".
objects within pd make function calls to each other via Pd's
inlet/outlet concept and share data structures (e.g. lists of atoms)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes