[PD] a little ot: creative commons

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 21 18:48:12 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Marc Lavallée wrote:
> >>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCIfInterpreterIsGPL
> >
> >But the binding occurs between [expr] and Pd, not between a patch using
>
> no, the binding occurs between [expr] and the patch (both are run by Pd).
> your argumentation would render GPL on any interpreted language
> meaningless. however, fsf thinks (and i believe they have asked their
> lawyers who probably know more about legal issues than me) that GPL is
> applicable to interpreted languages (else all those quoted FAQ entries
> would not make sense).

What I don't understand at all about
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL is this:

The FAQ-answer first states, that I'm not obliged to put the GPL or
anything compatible on an interpreted program, even if the interpreter
is GPL, because my interpreted program is "just data" to the
interpreter.

But then later it says, that if I'm using some modules of that
interpreted language, that are GPL, in my "just data"-program, I'm
suddenly obliged to use GPL or compatible.

I mean, if the interpreter is GPL and I'm not bound by its terms, then
why is is, that if I'm using some GPL's extensions of that
interpreter, that I'm now bound to the GPL?

How comes, that my "just data" program now became more than "just
data"?

I mean, I'm not opposed to using the GPL, as you all should know by
now, but: I just don't get it!?

Ciao