[Pd] Complex audio signals

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 04:26:08 CEST 2006

On 6/21/06, Piotr Majdak <piotr at majdak.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > On 6/20/06, Piotr Majdak <piotr at majdak.com> wrote:
> >
> > So it doesn't work.
> > I mean, I understand, with a rectangular window there are
> > discontinuities that read as crazy frequencies, but essentially this
> > doesn't work for supplying the imaginary part.
> > I guess it's just academic now, but I'm still curious.
>
> I'm not used to analysis of a spectrum by looking at its real and
> imaginary parts. Usually, I analyse the amplitude and phase of a
> spectrum. Thus, can you tell me what do you want to analyze and what
> "doesn't work"?
>
> br, Piotr

To supply the missing imaginary part to a real signal.  It doesn't
work to merely put the result of rfft~ into ifft~, either directly or
with zeros for the imaginary part, in a 64 sample block size.
Now that I think of it, if the signal is recorded, using an
astronomically large window size would seem to do it.  I wonder what
Pd's limitations are.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."