[PD] a little ot: creative commons

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jun 22 11:07:44 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmölnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>> i don't quite understand your problem (but probably i am oversimplifying
>> things)
>
> Let me try to clarify my problem a bit. For that I assume, that not
> only [expr] is GPL, but that Pd would be GPL, too (I know it isn't).
>
> Now as I understand the FSF, if I do a patch for such a GPL-Pd I'm not
> bound by the GPL for my patch, because it's just data. Assume my patch
> is this:
>
>  [+ 2]
>
> No GPL required, even though my Pd is GPL.
>
> Now I do a second patch and use [expr]:
>
>  [+ 2]
>  [expr $f1 + 2]
>
> I'm using an extension that is covered by the GPL. According to my
> understanding of the FSF, *now* my patch has to be licensed
> GPL-compatible, because [expr] is GPL. But in fact, in a GPL-Pd, [+ 2]
> would be a GPL-object as well. Why is a simple extension more binding
> license-wise than the interpreter itself, which offers the same kind
> of objects? I can see absolutely no difference between [+ 2] and [expr
> $f1 + 2] in a GPL'd Pd.

quoting myself:
<quote>
btw, as we all know, Pd is NOT released under GPL but under a "free to
evil"  :-)  license. this license does not apply to patches as long as
only the interpreter "Pd" is used. this license applies (imo) to patches
as soon as you use Pd core objects that are not to be seen as "part of
the language" (whatever these are); luckily Pd's licence is so free that
you can as you like.
</quote>

so i could answer your problem, if we could find a definition about
which objects are part of the "language specification" and which objects
are "other" objects.
i guess [trigger] could be seen as "language specification" object
(lso), since it represents a core concept of how dataflow is handled
within Pd
[readsf~] is probably one of the "other" objects.

most likely [+] would be an lso too.

so even in a GPL-Pd, your 1st patch would not need to be GPL'ed.

my conclusion of this is, that *if* Pd was GPL'ed, we would need to
define the boundaries between these 2 sets of built-in objects.

since Pd is not GPL'ed, we can skip this and still be happy.

mfga.sdr.
IOhannes