[PD] distinguishing to different number symbols with [select]

sokratesla ugurguney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 23:37:54 CEST 2006

# Hi all,
# I want to distinguish different numbers. But these number are coming in
symbol format. (I press numbers on my keyboard and get their symbol with
[keyname], keyname outputs symbols out of its second outlet.)
# The help patch of [select] says that it compares the incoming signal with
its creation arguments according to its first arguments type. If the first
argument is a symbol, it expects symbols etc.
# But select can distinguish only symbols which are not symbols. (foo, dog,
cat etc. :-) ) I sent these messages to [select] and only the second outlet
(which is associated with symbol 10) has triggered. For any kind of number
symbols select bangs the first number symbol creation arguments output.

|symbol 10(
|
| |symbol 20(
| /
|/
[select foo 10 20]
        bang!
        bang!..

# Is this a bug, or do I something wrong?
# The help patch uses [sel dog cat foo 400] and the message |symbol 400( and
that example hides this strangeness.

-ugur-