[PD] libjack problems

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 23 08:47:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Even  better would be to have OS-specific packages based on Pd-
> extended, including Debian, RedHat, etc.

It depends. I am scared of trying to do that, because it seems to me
to be a maintainance nightmare. I also think that there is too much
duplicated functionality in pd-extended, which makes it bloated.

I see the usefulness of pd extended for the user, but as a developer
I just can't invest my spare time into something that I think is not
a good thing. Most of the externals in pd-extended are for beginners,
when people do not know how to solve a problem in pd, they just look
if an external for solving their problem exists.

The idea of the CVS was not to throw everything in a pot and cook it,
but to extract the useful parts and combine efforts.

Anyhow, I have said that several times already, and please don't get me
wrong, I think pd-extended is great for the user and for being able to
quickly install everything that is around, but I just can not invest my
time on working on something where I constantly have to fix things that
I think that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Official Debian/Ubuntu packages of pd-extended are very unlickely to
come from my side.

Günter