[PD] libjack problems

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 23 16:49:01 CEST 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I definitely don't have an interest in fixing things that are not
> useful.  That is certainly not the aim of Pd-extended.  So much stuff
> is included because a) there is a ton of good code available for Pd,
> and b) people use this stuff.  Before, if someone posted a patch
> where they used some non-standard externals, it was always a major
> chore for other to set up the externals so that patch worked.  If
> everyone is on the same install, that problem goes away.
>
> Yes, its a big package, and yes there is a lot of crap that is
> included.  But these days, hard drive space is far cheaper and more
> abundant than Pd developer time.  So it doesn't really seem
> worthwhile to spend much time removing cruft if it doesn't get in the
> way, and its safely tucked away in a libdir, where it can't do any
> harm to people unless they try to use it.
>
> Another thing about a common build system is that a lot of the
> maintenance and debugged is then shared across platforms.  This saves
> a lot of labor.   I think that the debian packages would be less
> maintenance if their build system was pooled with Pd-extended,
> especially if you include pdp and pidip and others that aren't
> currently part of the "official" debian packages.

If I bundle up everything it will be pretty hard to get it into
a state where it can enter the debian repository, especially for
things like pdp (which is in debian) and pidip, which have their own
build system, and what pd-extended does is mainly calling that, if
I am not wrong.

If the packages are split up I can work on the problems separately,
while other parts that are less complicated to get going can easily
go through quality control.

I also like to have the possibility to only install pd, and not
hundreds of externals which I won't use, and which I think noone should
use and which just use up disk space.

> If someone else did the work, would you be willing to accept it as
> the standard Debian packages?

I am not in the position to accept standard Debian packages, if you ask
if I would upload such a package to Debian, I would say probably.
It depends on the quality of the package (see above) and if the person
who packages it is reliable enough.

Günter