[PD] 4 Webam Congestion Problem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 26 16:56:34 CEST 2006

Peter Forde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run 4 USB webcams at the same time and triggering each
> using fiddle and pix_video. I know fiddle is heavy on CPU but the other
> externals do not seem to work for me. Is there a way of easing this
> congestion?

hmm, the last time i had CPU-problems with [fiddle~] was on my P-100.
which hardware are you using?

> The piece tries to replicate CCTV monitoring so maybe only using 1 or 2
> frames per second would be good. How do you do this and will it cut down
> on congetion?

you can create the [gemwin] with an argument which denotes the
framerate; you can send a [frame $1( message to the [gemwin] to change
the frame rate at runtime; you can turn on/off entire gem-chains by
sending 1/0 to the initiating [gemhead]; you can use [spigot] to disable
parts of the gemchain.

and you could use smaller frame sizes and greyscale images to reduce the
amount of data from the webcams.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes