[PD] state object

Federico xaero at inwind.it
Tue Jun 27 18:48:19 CEST 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Federico wrote:
>>
>>> The state object is deprecated, as most of its functionality has
>>> been lost during time. There are other methods to do state saving like
>>> qlist and arrays which are builtin in pd, or others using externals.
>>
>> unless pd will have a standardized way of doing this, I prefer doing:
>
> there is a "init" option in most iemgui objects (like the slider you are
> referring to) which will save the current state of the objects and
> initialize it the next time you load the patch.
>
> [...]
>

>> however this can't be packed into an abstraction (only a subpatch will
>> do), and not even into a GOP abstraction, because Vslider it's too
>> narrow.
>
> why does it not work with abstractions? i see zero reasons,

because:

[f]

[set $1(

[...(  <- this is the "memory unit"

will only be saved in a (sub)patch. this can't live in an abstraction,
as hitting "save" on the main patch in fact does nothing to this "memory"

> as for vslider being too narrow:
> - you can make them fatter by just setting the width to something that
> fits your need.

I don't want to name by abstractions like a.pd, b.pd, etc...
and nor I don't want to make 50px wide sliders.

if you don't get what I am talking about, please see
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-05/038312.html and
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1491020&group_id=55736&atid=478073

> - you can use the iemgui's built-in send/receive-labels to "outsource"
> the logic to somewhere else where you don't mind the object's size.
>

>> not so nifty, but a GOP subpatch makes things more tidy (and heavy)
>

> it is easy to save 1 state of your patch. it becomes really complex (and
> nifty) when you want to save multiple states. use memento or something
> for this.

when I have more free time I'll make an external for doing this...
I can't believe pd can't have it's internal preset system.... MAX has
its (multiple)preset object, and almost all patcher dataflow software
have one... :|

maybe the pure-data API lacks functions for saving/restoring state of
*ANY* external (if the externals needs/wants this)?