[PD] state object

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 27 20:41:54 CEST 2006

carmen wrote:
>> maybe the pure-data API lacks functions for saving/restoring state of
>> *ANY* external (if the externals needs/wants this)?
>>

> you can 'fudge' it by recording the last incoming message per-selector, or the last message coming out of an outlet, with a figure-8 looped abstraction and [pool,pdcontainer,coll]. or wrap an object directly a GOP with store/load state buttons..
>
> i do think a proper addition to the API for reflection on the current state, and subscription to update notifications, is essential however. not only for real state-saving, but for those who want to (easily) make non-Tk GUIs for only a single object, or an entire or several patches...

http://pure-data.iem.at/docs/developer/
has this link
http://student-kmt.hku.nl/%7Etjeerd/pd/pd_fileformat.html
to the pd file format but it's broken...
What I was thinking is that it should be possible to add the current
state of an object to the end of its line in the pd patch without
breaking anything, but I'm not sure.

Martin