[PD] converting decimal to binary

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 11:29:34 CEST 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:47:30 +0100 (BST)
adam armfield <adamairmailed at yahoo.com> wrote:

> in sound terms i like using clock dividers set to
> prime amounts, then feeding both signals into a logic
> gate, with a bit of care this can make really nice
> rhythms (using several such units) the bitwise gates
> in pd don't really lend themselves to this, but more
> straightforward gates do...

For polyrythmnic combinations it's all about common
factors. Using primes means that there are none, so
your sequence zeros at the LCM of the two two primes,
for 7 and 11 it's at 77 beats. That's why we use
primes for delay times in reverbs to get a sound that
doesn't seem too coloured by common modes.

Check out the work of these drummers

Pantera - Vinnie Paul
Gong - Pierre Mouerlen
Tool - Daney Carey

Carey and Mouerlon are both known for fibonacci based
syncopations. It seems there are indeed many useful rythmnic
applications contained in the fib sequence, off the top of my head
I haven't a clue why, one to research.
This is most definitely not "house" though. :)

The easy way into this territory is using the [mod] and [%]
operators with [change] and [select]. You might like to check
the other drum unit (the jazz one) at
http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/toys.html
and see how I used remainders and modulo to make that work.

> i've had a quick look at your tribalhaus generator
> andy, looks really good from here (didn't get much joy
> sound-wise from this machine, pd audio in win98

Yes, sorry but some of more recent patches really need
pd-extended to work. Not because they use strange externals
just because the they use very common and important units that
aren't in the very mean (imho) build of vanilla Pd right now. ;)

all best,
Andy