[PD] state object

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 28 02:42:48 CEST 2006

Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:41:54PM -0400, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> http://pure-data.iem.at/docs/developer/
>> has this link
>> http://student-kmt.hku.nl/%7Etjeerd/pd/pd_fileformat.html
>> to the pd file format but it's broken...
>> What I was thinking is that it should be possible to add the current
>> state of an object to the end of its line in the pd patch without
>> breaking anything, but I'm not sure.
>>

> well, the end of the "object's line" is most likely its argument list;
> which _could_ reflect the object's state (but not necessarily).
> did you mean this or something else?

Yes. Here is a metro inside a patch:
#X obj 353 129 metro 100;
If it were written
#X obj 353 129 metro 100 #S 99;
...the metro should run at 99ms instead of 100. In current pd 0.39-2
this appears as a [metro 100 #S 99] object that otherwise works as a
100ms metro.
A future version might be able to take that information and actually use it.
Probably, to prevent trouble, dummy arguments would need to be inserted
where the full complement of arguments was not specified.
Martin