[PD] state object

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jun 28 10:18:38 CEST 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > ...the metro should run at 99ms instead of 100. In current pd 0.39-2
> > this appears as a [metro 100 #S 99] object that otherwise works as a
> > 100ms metro.
>
> Most objects change their state shortly after a patch was loaded. If
> we automatically save the current state to the .pd-file, we can stop
> putting abstractions into CVS: Every save action will create a
> different file depending on the current state.

There are other concerns, normally you want to save more than one
state, in order to have different presets. I think state saving has
to be done within an additional file(s).

With the state object this was very easy, you could name states
arbitrarily and every patch was saveable by just using the state
object. I have used state a lot and in very complex ways, the only
real drawback was that if you removed part of the patch, all the
states that you have saved before were lost.
There are ways to avoid this, but it would make the whole business more
complicated, and it has never been implemented.

Günter