[PD] understanding block~

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:53:55 CEST 2006

"block" is how many audio samples Pd computes (per audio object)
before checking to see if anything has changed.

It's probably more relevant in regard to objects that specifically
depend on blocksize, like all of the fft objects, tabsend~ and
tabreceive~, and bang~.  In these situations, block size specifically
determines not only how often these things compute but, more
importantly, how much audio data they consider when they do.
Block size has no effect on control computations that don't affect audio.

I'm afraid I only understand block's overlapping and up/downsampling
in vague theory, and I can't tell you how to use them or why.

On 6/28/06, glerm soares <organismo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could I ask for some smart explanations about "block" dealing in PD?
> Seems to me that it's something about dsp "word"... Is It something like
> bitrate?
>
> Sorry If It's a dumb question, but I'm not sure I could understand it very
> well with docs nearby...
>
> Any single link should be appreciated...
>
> thanx a lot
>
> glerm

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt