[Pd] splitting Pd on two processors

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 30 11:19:31 CEST 2006

Urs Liska wrote:
> For example:
> One computer running a complete pd instance with the gui and physical
> controllers, the other running a (-nogui) pd doing the "work",
> and both instances communicating via OSC.
>
> Would that work (well)?
> (well, this scenario would also make sense on Dual Core processors,
> isn't it?)

definitely.

we use such approaches for most of our CPU-hungry applications (like the
CUBEmixer), although we don't use OSC but netsend/netreceive: less
processing overhead involved at the cost of non-compatibility with other
appications

we even use this on single-processor machines: the "number crunching" pd
-nogui runs with "-rt" and a quite low latency whereas the gui runs with
a lower priority.
whether the physical controllors are attached to the gui or to the dsp
is a matter of design.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes