[PD] command line arguments for Pd 0.39 on OSX

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jul 1 23:49:54 CEST 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> when i start pd from the shell, i usually use "pd -lib bla patch.pd"
>> when i start pd from a script, i usually use "pd -lib bla -open patch.pd"
>

> Bash parses and runs a script exactly the same as something on the
> commandline (with the possible exceptions of "!" and "#" but that's not
> relevant here)
>
> You must mean .pdrc, which is *not* run as a shell script. However, I

no i don't mean .pdrc
i mean "running pd from the shell" vs. "running pd from a shell script".

i do know that this is actually the same thing. still i do use "-open"
in scripts while i don't use it when i run pd directly from the shell.

the latter usually applies to "simple" startups and then i am too lazy
to use the "-open" flag.

i only write scripts when the startup gets complicated (well not
entirely true: i also write scripts when the whole thing has to be
started by a person who has no shell knowledge. or by an init-script).
and as soon as it gets complicated, i found the "-open" option very
useful. the most important thing for me is, that you can specify
arguments _after_ you have told pd to load a patch.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes