[PD] no sound with -nogui ?

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Sun Jul 2 21:51:59 CEST 2006

Hello PD-folks,
Does anyone know why sound fails to work when I run my patch with the
-nogui flag, but it works when I start the same patch in GUI mode? I am
starting pd with exactly the same flags in both cases, except for
-nogui, and I have the appropriate loadbang's in place to automatically
start sound - so when I run pd with the GUI, it requires no input before
it begins making sound. When I run with -nogui, I get the following
message on the console:

snd_pcm_open (input): Device or resource busy
snd_pcm_open (output): Device or resource busy

But I don't get this running with the GUI. This is on linux, ALSA, and
PD 0.39-2. Can anyone help me figure this out? thanks in advance!
-David Merrill

--
MIT Media Lab
dmerrill at media.mit.edu