[PD] converting decimal to binary

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 03:31:07 CEST 2006

Interesting stuff, so it's a very useful sequence for seeking
non coincidence. A fib sequence based reverb algorithm
is immediately desirable.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:23:47 -0400
"Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is an approximation, and gets closer and closer, and it works if
> you start with ANY 2 positive numbers and make a Fibonacci-esque
> series from them.  You could start with 2 and 417, then 419, 836,
> 1255, etc, and gradually the ratios of consecutive members of the
> series start to approach the golden ratio.
>
> The golden ratio is defined by
> x=1/x + 1
>
> when you take, for instance, 13/8, that is 1 + 5/8... or 21/13 is 1 +
> 8/13... 34/21 is 1 + 13/21, because of the way you obtain each number.
>  Always 1 + the reciprocal of the previous ratio.  So you will never
> quite reach the golden ratio, but you alternately go slightly higher
> and slightly lower, getting gradually closer.

I forgot, what's the name for a curve that oscillates (asymptotically?) around
a value converging on it, in the purest mathspeak?

And I was thinking about this when playing with your microtone stuff Chuck,
computing arbitary arithmetic sequences (as expressions) in Pd to some
depth, like is [expr] the best way to think about that iyho?

Andy