[Pd] Feature Request: trigger editing

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 04:57:02 CEST 2006

I've never really seen it as anything but an event flag.
A stack of [t b b b b ] so that, as I now
understand, I can sequence the evaluation order of my code
better. And yes for that exact purpose it rather sucks, because
if you want to insert an earlier one you have to move everything.
Perhaps the obvious thing that nobody is saying is to change the
persistance characteristics of the trigger instance. Have it make
a copy of itself which gets used to construct the new one?
Wouldn't that be generally useful to be able to insert
new parameters in any order for other objects? What are the dangers?

But as for type management, yeah, its definitely a Badthing(tm) right.
Better to use inlets and not to build complex datastructures with
lists and pointers to be passed about so early in the design.
At the moment you sort of have to manage the control parameter
layer of a synthesiser yourself, using routes and selects, packs
and unpacks to mange control vectors of your own definition.
In between goes a layer of type-checking, range limiting with [max]/[min],
and stuff like that to make sure all your parameters are where
they should be. I'm learning to use datastructures a bit now. Anyway it seems
in Pd, perhaps because passing parmeters
to subpatches and abstractions isn't formal, and there's not a
handy way to wrap the parameters of a block of code,
that trigger gets abused.

It's hard to say where exactly the type handling of Pd could be improved
without taking the lid off a huge can-o-worms, but I can feel its
limitations.

Andy