[Pd] Feature Request: trigger editing

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 3 19:11:46 CEST 2006

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, padawan12 wrote:

> Perhaps the obvious thing that nobody is saying is to change the
> persistance characteristics of the trigger instance. Have it make a copy
> of itself which gets used to construct the new one?

jMax had that feature: in addition to having a constructor and a
destructor, a class could optionally define a "reconstructor" which would
be called instead of deleting+recreating.

> Wouldn't that be generally useful to be able to insert new parameters in
> any order for other objects? What are the dangers?

Even with a "reconstructor", the reconstructor can't know where text has
been inserted except by comparing strings.

Doing what you want with [t] is best done using a specialized GUI for that
object class. This is done by setting up a t_widgetbehavior, writing
several pages of C code and recompiling. (to do this in DesireData, you
don't need to recompile and you don't need to write C code)

> Anyway it seems in Pd, perhaps because passing parmeters to subpatches
> and abstractions isn't formal,

What do you mean "not formal" ?

BTW subpatches don't take any creation arguments (just a name).
Abstraction instances do.

> and there's not a handy way to wrap the parameters of a block of code,
> that trigger gets abused.

I don't know what you mean here. Want to give an example?

> It's hard to say where exactly the type handling of Pd could be improved
> without taking the lid off a huge can-o-worms, but I can feel its
> limitations.

I don't think that we are talking about types?