[Pd] Feature Request: trigger editing

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 3 21:29:38 CEST 2006

Hallo,
padawan12 hat gesagt: // padawan12 wrote:

> I've never really seen it as anything but an event flag.
> A stack of [t b b b b ] so that, as I now
> understand, I can sequence the evaluation order of my code
> better. And yes for that exact purpose it rather sucks, because
> if you want to insert an earlier one you have to move everything.
> Perhaps the obvious thing that nobody is saying is to change the
> persistance characteristics of the trigger instance. Have it make
> a copy of itself which gets used to construct the new one?
> Wouldn't that be generally useful to be able to insert
> new parameters in any order for other objects? What are the dangers?

The problem with in/outlet management happens with all objects that
generate their outlets on demand. Besides trigger this also involves
route, select, (un)pack etc.

In a perfect world one would always create these objects with exactly
the needed arguments in advance, but then it is one of the strong
aspects of Pd that it leads to a more experimenting, playful style of
development where changing object arguments can happen quite often.

There also is a related issue: Currently it is not possible to change
the in/outlet count through messages, AFAIK, which hits everyone
developing with [pyext] a bit all the time. ;)

But well, personally I must say I don't get hit by this problem as
often as some years ago anymore, so it seems there must be some
automatic workarounds in effect in my Thinking In Pd already...

Ciao